Thursday, December 1, 2011

New Christmas Tradition

So I'm having a bit a a problem getting into the Christmas spirit with Justin being deployed this year. We will be spending Christmas in Ohio with my family, so I had the temptation to not even put up the tree.  But, that's not really fair to the kids...this is Asha's first Christmas and Chase will be super excited to cause chaos put it up.  

I realized that we do not have any family traditions for our young family.  We have never spent a Christmas morning at home since Chase was born, as we always travel to either Michigan or Ohio to spend Christmas with our family...just another oddity of being a military family. At some point, this may change...I think the kids should wake up in their own beds on Christmas morning...but for now, we take every opportunity to visit our families that we can.

Anyway, back to family traditions.  Thanks to Facebook...I waste so much time find so many new things on there... I have found a way to start a family tradition...The Elf on the Shelf.  


DISCLAIMER: Should you decide to get your own Elf, READ the book first. If Ollie is touched by a child, his magic disappears.  We found this out AFTER I gave the Elf to Chase...oops!  I had to call Santa and ask him to please give Ollie's magic back.  :)


I am hoping this little guy will help to bring my spirits up in regards to Christmas. He gives me an excuse to be creative, take pictures, and possibly blog about Ollie the Elf's adventures. And more importantly, he is a start of a family tradition.  I'm sure next year (and hopefully a few years in a row for a change) Justin will have lots of fun ideas for our little mischievous elf.  And the best part is that no matter where we go, whether Ohio, Michigan, or stay at home, Ollie will be able to go with us.  




1 comment: